Fall Year 1:
|HEAM 518||Research Design in Student Affairs|
|HEAM 570||Introduction to Student Affairs (OPEN)|
|HEAM 572||Student Development Theory|
Spring Year 1:
|HEAM 520||Finance & Budgeting|
|HEAM 543||History & Philosophy of Student Affairs|
Fall Year 2:
|HEAM 542||College Students & the Courts|
|HEAM 658||Conflict Management (Counseling)|
|ELPS 595||Organization & Governance of Student Affairs|
Spring Year 2:
|HEAM 517||Assessment in Student Affairs|
|ELPS 595||Issues in Student Affairs (OPEN)|
Practicum/internship are important, valued requirements of the CSP Program. They allow students to learn more about a specific service area and to gain experiences in the field while serving the field. This memorandum is designed to provide basic information about the practicum experience (HEAM 599) and the forms to be completed in relation to the experience.
- Students must be accepted into the CSP Program to enroll in HEAM 599.
- Students must complete a minimum of 270 hours in 2 to 3 practicums (90 hours = 1 credit hour) of HEAM 599.
- Students may not complete a practicum at their current place of employment (full-time position, part-time position, or graduate assistantship) without special permission from the CSP Program Coordinator.
- Before beginning the experience, the Practicum Description Form must be completed by the student and proposed supervisor, returned and approved by the CSP Program Coordinator.
- The Mid-Term Evaluation requires that the student and supervisor meet to discuss the student’s progress. This form must be returned to the CSP Program Coordinator at the half-way point in the experience.
- The Summative Evaluation also requires that the student and supervisor meet to assess the practicum experience. The form must be returned to the Program Coordinator at least two weeks before the end of the semester.
- The student is responsible for completing the Intern Evaluation and submitting it with the Final Paper and Time Log to the CSP Program Coordinator at least two weeks before the end of the semester.
Final Paper and Time Log
The requirements for this paper are:
- A brief introduction (1-2 pages) providing descriptive information of the area, department, office, et. al., in which the practicum was completed.
- Reflections (3-6 pages) on the work the student did in the practicum and perceptions of what has been learned from the experience.
- A conclusion (1-2 pages) in which the student analyzes the contributions of this experience to her/his career goals and to their understandings of the field.
- A time log should be attached to the paper (date, times, activity/ies) showing how the 180 hours were spent.