Internships/practicum experiences are important and valued requirements of the CSP Program. They allow students to learn more about a specific service area and to gain experiences in the field while serving the field. This memorandum is designed to provide basic information about the practicum experience (HEAM 599) and the forms to be completed in relation to the experience.
- Students must be accepted into the CSP Program to enroll in HEAM 599.
- Students must complete a minimum of 270 hours in 2 to 3 practcium (90 hours = 1 credit hour) of HEAM 599.
- Students may not complete a practicum at their current place of employment (full-time position, part-time position, or graduate assistantship) without special permission from the CSP Program Coordinator.
- Before beginning the experience, the Practicum Description Form must be completed by the student and proposed supervisor, returned and approved by the CSP Program Coordinator. For practicum to be completed in the spring semester, forms are due December 1. Approvals for summer practicum are due April 1, and approvals for fall practicum are due September 1.
- The student is responsible for completing the Practicum Student’s Evaluation of Host Site and submitting the Practicum Supervisors Evaluation to the CSP Program Coordinator. For practicum completed in the spring semester, evaluations are due April 30. For practicum completed in the fall, evaluations are due November 30. For practicum completed in the summer, evaluations are due August 30.
Key Practicum Dates
Practicum Fair: An opportunity for UTK and other campuses to present practicum opportunities in a variety of offices/sites to first year grads. The event occurs yearly in mid-September
Practicum Approval Forms Due: For practicum to be completed in the spring semester, forms are due December 1. Approvals for summer practicum are due April 1, and approvals for fall practicum are due September 1.
Practicum Evaluation Forms Due: For practicum completed in the spring semester, evaluation forms, time logs, and papers are due April 30. For practicum completed in the fall, evaluations are due November 30. For practicum completed in the summer, evaluations are due August 30.
2nd Year Pecha Kuchas: A requirement for every second year grad to present on their practicum experiences. The event occurs yearly in early December.
Transition Workshop: An event for second year grads to assist in the transition from part-time to full-time professional. It occurs yearly in late fall.
Resume Book: Second year grads submit a resume to the CSP program coordinator by January 15. Once collected, resumes are distributed no later than January 31 to the division of student life and the CSP listserv network.
College Student Personnel Association (CSPA)
What is CSPA?
The College Student Personnel Association, referred to as CSPA, is a student-led organization for the CSP program. The goal of CSPA is to provide opportunities for professional development and socialization within the program. Member benefits include eligibility for travel funds, a professional mentor, exposure to networking opportunities, a CSPA T-shirt, and more. CSPA also produces a regular newsletter for students, faculty, staff, and alumni to keep updated on current events in the program.
CSPA holds regular meetings throughout the year. Additionally, CSPA plans events such as Interview Weekend, the graduate hooding ceremony, and CSP orientation. Examples of past events have also included an etiquette dinner, a homecoming tailgate, a meal with faculty, sessions on job search tips, holiday gatherings, and careers in student affairs month.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.