ELPS News

Frank Cuevas Named Permanent Vice Chancellor for Student Life

Frank Cuevas, who has been serving as the University of Tennessee, Knoxville’s Interim Vice Chancellor for Student Life since January, will take on the role permanently.

“Over the last several months, some of which have been the most challenging we’ve faced as an institution, I have watched Frank’s steady leadership, his steadfast advocacy for our students, and the trust and respect he has built with the Student Life staff,” said Chancellor Donde Plowman. “Frank is collaborative, compassionate, and thoughtful in his decision-making, and he has already proven himself to be a tremendous addition to our senior leadership team. I’m absolutely thrilled he has agreed to take on the role permanently.”

Frank Cuevas
Vice Chancellor for Student Life Frank Cuevas

Cuevas previously served as Assistant and then Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Life. He also oversaw Student Housing at UT for seven years, beginning in 2010. He has been an Adjunct Assistant Professor in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies at UT for seven years.

“I am deeply honored to serve UT as the Vice Chancellor for Student Life. I am passionate about both education and the student experience, so I am very excited to get to work on behalf of our students. I wish to thank Chancellor Plowman for entrusting me with this responsibility. I look forward to continuing to work with her, our campus leadership, and the student life team to support student learning as we work to advance the university’s mission.”

Cuevas was the only finalist out of a nationwide pool of candidates.

Before coming to UT, Cuevas served in various roles in student housing at Florida State University for nearly 20 years. He holds a bachelor’s degree in international affairs, a master’s in student affairs, and a doctor of education in higher education administration, all from Florida State.

CONTACT

Tyra Haag (865-974-5460, tyra.haag@tennessee.edu)